Just Received my D500!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Brev00
OP Brev00 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,641
Re: Just Received my D500!

Bill Ferris wrote:

Congratulations on the new (to you) camera. I made a similar move two years ago, adding a D500 to replace a D610 as my primary bird, wildlife and sports body. The D500 is just plain superior in so many ways.

I am giving the D610 a rest for now.   My preferred genre of photography is sports.  So, I like capturing action.  My kids are grown so no more soccer or ice skating.  Birds, bikers, planes are the best I can do right now.  The D500 feels perfect for such things.  Given that I shot dx for eight years, I am comfortable with the D500 for general use as well.  I like returning to dx.  One thing that has grabbed me at this early date is the clarity of the images.  I love their look in the lcd.  Even using the neutral camera profile.

That said, there were a couple of rough transition points for me.

The first was the reduced dynamic range. It was frustrating at first to not be able to use ISOs north of about 1600 without being concerned about noise. You'll learn to be greedy when it comes to light.

I am already seeing an increase in noise at isos lower than 1600. Might wind up buying Topaz AI Denoise as another member recommended.  I tried it out a few months ago and liked it.  I didn't feel I needed it or the expense at that time.  I have so much software!

The other challenge (for me) was the difference between the D610 User 1 and User 2 modes, and the D500 custom settings banks. It took me awhile to warm to the D500 custom banks but I rely on them for all my shooting.

I noticed that it has custom banks but no nothing about them.  I bought Young's Mastering the D500 so will look into that when the book arrives.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out.

Thanks! I will.

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D90 Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow