Those of you who upgraded to the R4..

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Luis Gabriel Photography
Luis Gabriel Photography Senior Member • Posts: 2,361
Re: Those of you who upgraded to the R4..

crashwins wrote:

Are you happy with it over the R3? I handled my friend's R4 the other day, and I was very pleased with the ergonomics and button layout/feedback: it felt like Sony finally got it right (I'd need a bottomplate, though). The back-button AF has that extra feedback...It'a nice.

That said, it's a lot of cash to upgrade from the R3 when I don't really need the MPs. I wonder about the color, whether it's better or more refined, though I find the color good on the R3 too. What do you think?

The R3, espicially at used prices, its such a great deal that is hard to justify but for me the RIV added enough features to make it count, like much better EVF, dual FAST cards, better sealing, Wifi tethering!, improved Eye AF and tracking, Eye AF for video.
Even the extra cropping is nice to have. As far as being noisier, the RIV exposes a bit brother than the R3 so after matching exposure and resolution, the difference is pretty much negligible.

Now if I were constantly shooting very high ISO, maybe I would go a different route.
I wouldn't upgrade just for ergonomics as sure it feels nice, but I didn't have issues with the R3 and a half case for extra grip. As far as color, I shoot RAW so I didn't dig deep into their differences.

Luis Gabriel Photography's gear list:Luis Gabriel Photography's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 35mm F1.2 DG DN +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow