Those of you who upgraded to the R4..

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Austinian
Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 10,363
Re: Those of you who upgraded to the R4..

crashwins wrote:

Are you happy with it over the R3? I handled my friend's R4 the other day, and I was very pleased with the ergonomics and button layout/feedback: it felt like Sony finally got it right (I'd need a bottomplate, though). The back-button AF has that extra feedback...It'a nice.

That said, it's a lot of cash to upgrade from the R3 when I don't really need the MPs. I wonder about the color, whether it's better or more refined, though I find the color good on the R3 too. What do you think?

I don't think the improvements are huge, but definitely worthwhile. The even-better EVF makes manual focusing even easier, the ergonomics are slightly better (I have L-plate/grip extensions on both cameras) and general ease-of-use is improved. The extra pixels are helpful at times.

To sum it up, I wouldn't buy the R IV if you have to sacrifice something else important to do it, but if it wouldn't hurt financially the upgrade is IMO very nice to have.

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow