Purchasing a R6 and very confused about cards and lenses

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 14,272
Re: Purchasing a R6 and very confused about cards and lenses

Master619 wrote:

Sarah Is Confused wrote:

Hello everyone,

First post here. I have been photographing on my second hand, very beat up, 7D for years and have decided to take the plunge and buy a R6. I'm not very technology minded and having been using the equipment for so long I'm a bit confused about all the different options for cards. Google is telling me I should buy 2 "SanDisk 128GB Extreme Pro 300MB/s UHS-II SDXC Card", would you all agree with this?

I'm hoping to purchase a 70-200mm lens later in the year and wasn't sure if I should go for a secondhand (but like new) EF or a new (but with cash back) RF. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

I mostly photograph my children but I'm also taking a video course and plan to use the camera for family films. I also have a set of studio lights that I use for "photoshoots" with my children.

Thank you all so much, all advice is welcome.

"SanDisk 128GB Extreme Pro 300MB/s UHS-II SDXC Card" is a very good card, but if all you will do is photographing your children and family you don't necessarily need it, let alone two of them. One of them will be plentiful, or two 64GB ones if you want the best peace of mind for redundancy. Hell, even one 64GB is a good starting point if you wanna save the money for something else. Of course SD cards are quite cheap nowadays and / or if you have a large budget then sure go for 2 128GB ones.

Yes, but to be more specific...

A UHS-I U3 card, which is *much* cheaper, will handle everything the R6 can throw at it except for one very high quality setting (4K 60 H265 with CLOG and HDR PQ) which you are unlikely to need. If did somehow need that, you would need a V60 card and the Sandisk card you mention falls short of that so for all that extra money you would actually gain nothing at all!

A UHS-I card is also sufficient for most stills shooting needs. In the worst case - shooting RAW plus the highest quality JPEG - you can shoot up to 91 frames before the buffer fills!

I disagree with Master619 in one respect - video eats up storage space so I would go for a couple of 128 GB cards. At the lower UHS-I U3 spec they are much more affordable so there is no need to risk running out of space.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Jx9
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow