First DSLR,noise on darks, blowed highlights...

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kajaalyo New Member • Posts: 7
First DSLR,noise on darks, blowed highlights...

Hello,

I have bought my first DSLR camera, Canon EOS 80D with EFS 18-55 1:3.5 - 5.6 IS STM lens.

My goal is to shoot car footage, but I feel that I must first master the photography.

I practiced for a few days with A+ auto mode, now I want to learn how to use manual mode.

I watched a few tutorials to get to know the things that I must adjust (shutter speed, ISO, f stop).

Now my problem is that when it`s starting to get dark, lets say 1.5hour before sundown or inside the house with normal lightning I start to get noise like on cheap digital camera from 2003 in low light.

I am aware that this could happen because of to much ISO, but I rather keep ISO low and I lower the shutter speed to compensate, but noise is still there.

My other problem is that I`m always blowing the highlights. It`s like I can`t drop down the ISO to make the sky darker or car reflections darker because everything on the picture will be too dark.

Do I need an ND filter or is there something that I can do to overcome this?

I had tried playing with shutter, iso and f stop to solve both of my problems, but I can`t figure it out.

It's frustrating when I know I had spend so much money and now iphone makes better pictures than 80D in my hands, if I dust of my note1 I bet, even that obsolete thing would take better pictures.

Thank you for help

Canon EOS 80D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow