Purchasing a R6 and very confused about cards and lenses

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
RexTremendae Forum Member • Posts: 90
Re: Purchasing a R6 and very confused about cards and lenses

Sarah Is Confused wrote:

Hello everyone,

First post here. I have been photographing on my second hand, very beat up, 7D for years and have decided to take the plunge and buy a R6. I'm not very technology minded and having been using the equipment for so long I'm a bit confused about all the different options for cards. Google is telling me I should buy 2 "SanDisk 128GB Extreme Pro 300MB/s UHS-II SDXC Card", would you all agree with this?

An alternative would be something like the Sony Tough CFExpress 128GB. It will give faster write speeds should you want to take advantage of the R6's burst speeds.

I'm hoping to purchase a 70-200mm lens later in the year and wasn't sure if I should go for a secondhand (but like new) EF or a new (but with cash back) RF. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

I would get the RF 70-200, it is substantially lighter and easier to handle than the EF 70-200's and it is just a smidge better optically. It's pricey but the light weight is worth it. Those old 70-200's are tanks, I never shot with my old heavy 70-200's unless I was being paid to use them, now I'm happy to walk around with the new RF lens.

I mostly photograph my children but I'm also taking a video course and plan to use the camera for family films. I also have a set of studio lights that I use for "photoshoots" with my children.

Again, the RF 70-200 is in elite territory here. I don't like making vast presumptions but I doubt you can do better than an R6/R5 paired with the RF 70-200 for video.

Another option could be the RF 100-500L. It has similar image quality and focus speeds but obviously a much larger range. The downside is the max aperture range of f/4.5-7.1 compared to constant f/2.8 on the RF 70-200.

Thank you all so much, all advice is welcome.

RexTremendae's gear list:RexTremendae's gear list
Canon EOS R5
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Jx9
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow