Purchasing a R6 and very confused about cards and lenses

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Eddie Rizk Contributing Member • Posts: 782
Re: Purchasing a R6 and very confused about cards and lenses

Sarah Is Confused wrote:

Hello everyone,

First post here. I have been photographing on my second hand, very beat up, 7D for years and have decided to take the plunge and buy a R6. I'm not very technology minded and having been using the equipment for so long I'm a bit confused about all the different options for cards. Google is telling me I should buy 2 "SanDisk 128GB Extreme Pro 300MB/s UHS-II SDXC Card", would you all agree with this?

I'm hoping to purchase a 70-200mm lens later in the year and wasn't sure if I should go for a secondhand (but like new) EF or a new (but with cash back) RF. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

I mostly photograph my children but I'm also taking a video course and plan to use the camera for family films. I also have a set of studio lights that I use for "photoshoots" with my children.

Thank you all so much, all advice is welcome.

I don't shoot video and shoot very little action, but I understand that faster cards are very helpful for video and somewhat helpful for burst shooting of stills.  If your kids are in sports, that can matter.

EF lenses are just as good on R type cameras as they are on EF type cameras.

Where the RF lenses will help you is with the high speed display that improves your view in the view finder and the speed of burst shooting for sports.  They are also typically smaller and lighter.  The image quality is going to be better, but not that much.

That's my opinion, and it's worth what you paid for it.

-- hide signature --

Eddie Rizk
Formerly "Ed Rizk"
My email was hacked and unrecoverable along with all associated accounts, so I got permission to create a new one.

Eddie Rizk's gear list:Eddie Rizk's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Jx9
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow