Too much dust inside the inner lens of an Oly 12-40 f2.8 Pro ?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ahaslett
ahaslett Veteran Member • Posts: 7,101
Re: Too much dust inside the inner lens of an Oly 12-40 f2.8 Pro ?

Samuel Dilworth wrote:

cba_melbourne wrote:

Hmm. I just checked my 12-40. The wobble is 0.8mm fully extended.

With my lens and a similar dial test indicator set-up, I record 0.4 mm of play from one end of the travel to the other (or about half that from a neutral centred position). By play I mean play: loose wobble between the knocks; not flexure after the end of the travel.

My lens has not seen much use yet, being only a few months old.

I’ve never seen an extending-barrel zoom lens that didn’t wobble. There needs to be clearance to allow free movement. It cannot be a press fit.

I never noticed but my 12-40 has quite a wobble extended.  It’s far more than my Tamron 28-75mm FE and more than I remember for the 12-60SWD.

A bit of a wobble is inevitable but maybe this explains the performance losses 40mm.  My 12-60 was best at 60mm, so a shame it died for the second time.  The 14-54mm mk I also has a bit of a wobble.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin
Please feel free to edit any images that I post

ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +27 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow