I just noticed something

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 4,895
Re: I just noticed something

BGD300V1 wrote:

What with COVID Cabin fever I've been looking around various parts of photo sites that I usually breeze past.

There is a page here on DPReview that shows you which cameras are used for galleries and challenges. They are two of the tabs at

Popular Interchangeable lens cameras

The data is collected over the previous 5 days posts.

As of this morning (9/27), the list of most popular interchangeable lens cameras used in challenges is entirely Nikon. Surprisingly, the D5300 is top of the list followed closely by the D40. The D500 comes in third, The first full frame doesn't show up until 6th place with the D610 holding that spot. It's beaten out of the top half of the ranking by the D5200 and Nikon 1 V1.

https://www.dpreview.com/products/slrs/statistics/challenges

If you look at the Galleries tab you see that 5 of the 10 are Nikon, 4 Canon and 1 Olympus.

Sony doesn't appear anywhere on either of those two lists; the ones where people are actually posting images from their gear.

Latest update:

Challenges: The Nikon D5300 that was number 1, is no longer on the list at all. The D40 is now number 1, followed by Olympus OM-D E-M1ii; Canon EOS 7Dii in third. Fourth and fifth are both Sony (a7Riv, a6600). The plucky Nikon 1 V1 continues to hang in there, even moving up a position from 10th to 9th.

Galleries: The breakup continues to be 5 Nikons (1st, 2nd, 5th, 7th, 10th), but now 3 Canons (4th, 6th, 8th), 1 Sony and 1 Olympus. For future reference, the current order in galleries is:

1. Nikon D850
  2. Nikon D500
  3. Olympus OM-D E-M1ii
  4. Canon 5Diii
  5. Nikon D800
  6. Canon 70D
  7. Nikon D750
  8. Canon 7Dii
  9. Sony a7Riv
  10. Nikon D7100.

All challenge entries are added to galleries, whether loaded to the gallery first or loaded directly to the challenge (DPR automatically adds those to galleries. I suspect only challenge entries added to galleries by the user are appearing in both the challenges and galleries list, but I might be wrong about this.

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D50 Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Fujifilm X-T1 +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow