Confused about Focal Length Designation on Lenses

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PhotoNewbie123 New Member • Posts: 12
Confused about Focal Length Designation on Lenses

Hey all, I am planning to purchase a few new lenses for my Nikon D5600 but I am confused with the focal length designation marked on lenses (I am not confused about what "equivalent focal length" is. I understand that. My confusion is with the marking on the lenses itself). Questions:

(1) For lenses made for APS-C camera, like the Nikon DX series, is the focal length designation on the lenses indicate the true focal length or the "equivalent" focal length?

For example, the AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G, does the 35mm marked on this lens means

(a) the lens is truly a 35mm lens and therefore it gives a field of view of a 52mm on a APS-C camera, or,

(b) it is actually a 23mm lens and therefore it gives a field of view of a 35mm on a APS-C camera?

Which one is correct, (a) or (b)?

(2) Is the correct answer in (1) a industrial standard that holds true for all lens manufacturers (like Canon, FujiFilm, etc.) including 3rd party brands (like Sigma and Tamron)?

Nikon D5600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow