Thoughts on an FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS with a Sony a7r IV

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Ewan Grantham
OP Ewan Grantham Regular Member • Posts: 191
Re: Thoughts on an FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS with a Sony a7r IV

Thought I'd update for anyone who wanted "the rest of the story". Based on a couple replies here and elsewhere I ended up taking my RX10 iv with me instead of buying a new lens. Finished shooting today, and there were only 8 shots (out of about 100) that were more than 400mm, and half of those were me trying to grab a detail for a structure that I could have lived without. The bigger problem, interestingly enough, is that 100mm would have been a little too cropped as I had quite a few shots under 100mm. I know Tamron has an 18-400 that's considered "acceptable" for Nikon DSLRs, but don't believe there's anything like that for Sony (right?). And of course Nikon mirrorless does not even have a good 100-400 from my understanding. So if I'd taken my full frame I would have needed my 18-135 as well as the 100-400, and there would have been a good bit of switching lenses.

Earlier in the week I also did a shoot at Great Sand Dunes NP, and switching there probably would have required a day afterwards to clean the sensor (if I was lucky). With the way the wind was blowing around, I'm not sure I could have convinced myself to even take a chance changing lenses.

Not sure what the moral of the story is here. Perhaps it's that I should leave travel shooting to my RX10, and continue to use the A7R for more quiet landscape shots?

FWIW...

Ewan Grantham's gear list:Ewan Grantham's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a7R IV Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Samsung Galaxy S10+
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GF
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow