Whats the future of analog with no new cameras?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Overrank Senior Member • Posts: 2,236
Re: There are plenty of film cameras still being made.

cptrios wrote:

Overrank wrote:

c-d-embrey wrote:

Used bodies only sell at a premium if you buy from ebay.

In the U.K. most camera shops I’ve been to set a price based on eBay prices for something old. I’ve bought for around 10% below eBay prices from a shop but I’ve never seen anywhere regularly selling stuff much less than eBay.

I’m not including charity shops since (a) in the U.K. they seem to not sell film cameras anymore in local shops, they all go on eBay, and (b) it’s pretty random, a £5 Leica one day, a £25 Halina the next.

I don't really know what it's like around here anymore, since I haven't been in a small shop since the pandemic started, but in my experience here in MA/ME, cameras in antiques stores etc. tend to be junk models or in terrible shape. And if you own an antiques/pawn/thrift shop these days, I feel like you're basically in dereliction of duty if you don't either sell stuff like this on eBay or base your prices on sold listings.

The few charity shops here selling cameras tend to only have fixed lens point and shoots like you’d get free with breakfast cereal in the 1990s, but with a silly price tag on it.   Most sell on eBay and I get the feeling with charity shops in the U.K. that they put cameras on eBay rather than selling them in store to demonstrate they’re getting the best price on them.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow