Whats the future of analog with no new cameras?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Greg OH Regular Member • Posts: 432
Re: Whats the future of analog with no new cameras?

Aside from hobbyist cameras like Holga and Diana, there isn't a market for new cameras. Millions of perfectly good cameras already exist, and they can be serviced, even if not by the manufacturer.

The handful of professionals still using film can buy new or near-new Nikon F6's. Others just wanting great images on film can get 90's era Canons and Nikons that can accept the latest and greatest DSLR lenses.

Many people want something from the past, either what they had, or what they wish they had. Those are readily available, and most cost so little that having them serviced is still a great value. Sure, there are high-priced collectables, but for every Contax, there are 100 Canon, Nikon, or Minoltas available for 1/10 their original price.

Even pro-level medium format is now affordable, if not as cheap as 35mm.

There is also now eBay, allowing you to locate any camera, including the rarest ever made. I grew up in the 1970's, and remember ad for the Pentax K2-DMD. It wasn't remotely in my price range. If I wanted one now, it could be mine with a few clicks of the mouse, despite it being fairly rare. I did have a Nikon FE, and recently acquired another with the same lenses at a very modest cost.

All in all, I'd say this is a great time to shoot film. The threat isn't running out of cameras--it's running out of film.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow