Another GX85 to GX9 upgrade question thread

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Siralgovia New Member • Posts: 20
Another GX85 to GX9 upgrade question thread

I am thinking about upgrading my GX85 to the GX9 but am still not quite sure if I should or not. I bought my GX85 new open box with 2 lenses for $399 and have sold the 40-150 lens so I ended up with an amazing deal for around $300 with the 12-32.

I know this topic has been discussed and I read pretty much every possible forum thread I could find in English and German language.

I'm happy with the GX85 but my main reason for upgrading would be the better 1080 video output on the GX9 as well as its newer image stabilization. I'll be on a family reunion vacation in December and plan to do lots of filming that I want to make into a nice little 'feature movie' for everyone who took part.

Otherwise I can live with anything the GX85 does 'lesser' than the GX9.

With all my research I'm still not 100% sure these two improvements on the GX9 - better IS and better 1080 video - are worth an extra $250. Disregarding any other improvements in the GX9 and just focusing on those two, what is your opinion, worth the extra money? (I only have about 350 clicks on my GX85 and it is in like new condition still so that would be good for sale value).

I like the GX85's 1080 output on my laptop, but my screen isn't the best (will upgrade soon) to really judge sharpness and I just haven't been able to find conclusive comparisons between the two cameras regarding video mode.

I am hoping to upgrade to the GX9 once prices come down. And with the GX10 on the horizon, maybe it makes sense to just skip the GX9 and hang onto the GX85 for now unless 1080 video and IS are really that much better on the GX9.

Another idea and a side note here... I was thinking of switching to an FZ1000 II possibly as another option. Would the image stabilization compare to the dual IS of the GXs with the 12-60 3.5 lens for filming?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow