Did I buy a dud Samyang 14mm/f2.8?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JA Johnson New Member • Posts: 2
Did I buy a dud Samyang 14mm/f2.8?

Hi, Forum --

I recently purchased a Samyang 14mm/f2.8 ED AS IF UMC to use for astrophotography with my Sony A7III.

I know that this lens is infamous for its inconsistencies and that many photographers have had to return several copies before finding one that works. I took a few test shots and noticed a lot of coma in several of them, but do not know whether it's simply a byproduct of a budget lens or whether I should exchange it and hope for a better copy.

(I'll say now, pre-emptively, that my budget will not accommodate a more expensive lens at the moment.)

In the past, I used a Rokinon 12mm/f2.0 on a Sony A6400 and had much better results with barely any coma, so I'm wondering if I got just a not-so-great copy of the 14mm lens -- but then again, I'm still a beginner, so it's possible I just don't know what I'm talking about.

If anyone would be interested in looking at these photos (untouched, straight out of the camera) and giving me your opinion on whether the problem is the lens or simply my expectations, I'd appreciate it. I have one week left to exchange it, and cannot decide whether I'm overreacting.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

f2.8, ISO 2000, 25"

f2.8,  ISO 3200, 30"

f/4.0, ISO 6400, 25" -- I stopped down to see if it helped. The trees on the left are obscuring the stars where I have the most problems with coma, but you can still see it starting.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow