How much to charge for product photography and in what type of fee structure?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Darkmatterx76
Darkmatterx76 Regular Member • Posts: 108
How much to charge for product photography and in what type of fee structure?

Hi, I'm a photographer in a small town in SW Ontario, Canada and we really don't have any large towns near us that are less than an hour+ away. There are a lot of small towns, and a lot of locally owned businesses, but there really isn't many photographers out here marketing product photography.

I know that in places like Toronto, you'd probably charge $125-200 an hour, or possibly a fee per photo or per product (up to a certain number of shots) but that won't fly in a smaller community. Well, the fee per photo or product could fly, but the question is at what price point?

I'm trying to figure out a good "middle ground" considering that a lot of businesses have been hurt, including mine, by COVID, and are probably trying to conserve money, but at the same time, many have, or are, moving to more online sales.

Because of this, they're likely advertising more, so I will be going at this from the angle of, "the images of your products online are what sell the product. If you've increased your online presence, and your advertising budget accordingly, you may want to consider spending some money on the photos your online customers see when they decide if they are going to make a purchase."

At the moment, I think most small, locally owned business have gotten used to just taking cellphone and iPad photos, so I'll be combating that established trend. Also, as I'm in a smaller community, surrounded by other smaller communities, I can't charge the kind of rates that you'd find in a larger city, but at the same time, I don't want to undervalue myself.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

DM

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow