Trying a Sony (and a dying 1DMKIV) made me decide on an R6 (I think)...

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
G Dickson
G Dickson Senior Member • Posts: 1,204
Trying a Sony (and a dying 1DMKIV) made me decide on an R6 (I think)...

I just wanted a bit of input. So over the last days I have been guiding and shooting with a pro wildlife photographer in the Zambian bush. He switched to Sony (from Canon) last year and was shooting with a A9, 2 x A7RIV, 600mm F4, 100-400 and 24-70 f2.8. He let me have quite a bit of time with his gear.

My Canon gear is a 1DMKIV (which is dying... throwing up error codes constantly), a 6DMKI, 24-105 F4, 16-35F, 100-400MKII, Sigma 20mm F1.4 and a few other lesser lenses. The 6Dii I bought as a stop gap camera when my 1DIV started failing two years ago. I got it repaired (that was a waste of money as yesterday it started again with the error codes) and bought the 6Dii as it was very cheap for what it offered and I needed a camera urgently.

The 6Dii has been good to me. I have really enjoyed it for slower wildlife and landscapes and portraits. It exceeded my expectations on pretty much all counts except video.

But what it cannot do is fast action (when you need really good AF and high frame rates). For those two things it just cannot keep up with the 1DIV.

So as video is getting more important to me, and the 6Dii is just not ideal for say BIF and the 1DIV is again completely unreliable I am looking to another body. I also shoot with a Panasonic G9 and a few lenses for more casual shooting and travel stuff where I really don't want to be lugging kilos of camera gear. This experience with M4/3 gear has won me over to the advantages of mirrorless so say a used 1DXMKII is not as appealing as it used to be...

Now, being a G9 user I thought I was fairly familiar with decent level body mirrorless abilities (excepting say good video C-AF). But using the A7RIV and the A9 blew my mind.... The ability to initiate focus, have it lock on and track tiny birds in flight while leaving me to basically just worry about framing was an absolute revelation. The G9 just cannot do that at anything like that level. Just as an aside, I liked the A7RIV body but hated the A9 (original) body. But that AF - It really was a bit of a game changer moment for me.

Now as a small business tourism operator (Zambian Safari lodge) there is no way I can consider a system switch - it is way too much to do so after a disaster of a year.

So basically since the release I have been really pondering the R6. The R5 and associated cards and data management is too much for me and with my camera history I know that 20mp is okay for me. I do need good quality 4K but have no interest in 8K.

So I guess my really long winded conclusion is: from what I have seen and read the R6 is totally capable of meeting or even exceeding Sony's ability to lock on and track both people and wildlife. Can people that have used both confirm this?

If so then I am in for sure. Planning to be in Europe around Christmas so will likely get one then.

Thanks for any input one and all.

G Dickson's gear list:G Dickson's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon 6D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +9 more
Canon EOS R5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Ricoh Caplio R6 Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow