Proud owner of a 5Ds & GP-E2

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
M Stewart Contributing Member • Posts: 819
Proud owner of a 5Ds & GP-E2

A few weeks ago I took advantage of the slump in used prices in DSLRs, and bought a very good condition 5Ds for around the price of a 5D MkIII.  I also bought a near mint Sigma ART 50mm F/1.4.  Over the decades I've bought and used 10D, 5D, 5D MkII, 30D, 50D, 7D, 7D MkII as well as 1D MkIII & 1D MkIV.  Some have been sold to help finance later purchases, and others have been given to my arty daughter.  I'm very pleased with the out-of- the-box tonality of my 5Ds - it seems to be precisely where I've adjusted my 7D MkII to - i.e. a slight lowering of contrast in Picture Style. I'm pleased to find that the 5Ds responds to my Canon RC-1 remote controller - a throwback to decades ago.

From reviews I knew the 50mm Sigma ART was going to be heavier than my old EF 50 F/1.4, but I was surprised by just how heavy and solid it felt, and still feels!  I appreciate the extra refinement of the shutter mechanism in the 5Ds, and for once it's good that I don't need yet another type of battery charger!

I'm a bit of a GPS fanatic, and was lucky to find a used Canon GP-E2 for around half the list price, which is a bit fanciful as they seem to be on back order in the UK.  In practice the GP-E2 works seamlessly, acquires satellites much faster than my 7D MkII, and its compass bearings appear more or less instantly.  Great!

Currently, I've got the 5Ds set to around 20MP files, with 50MP in reserve, should the subject warrant it.  I've downloaded DPP4 but so far, haven't been able to use it due to some error in my installation of Win10 or maybe, DOS!  Not too bothered as I'm not a raw junky.

(I do have two Canon mirror-less bodies, but having started with a Contaflex in 1958, I'm a bit wedded to how SLRs handle.)

-- hide signature --

M. Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

M Stewart's gear list:M Stewart's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 Canon EF 35mm F2.0 +15 more
Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow