Olympus 17 mm f 1.2 Pro, 45 mm f 1.2 Pro, Voigtlander 17.5 mm f 0.95

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Sbarnaveli Junior Member • Posts: 25
Re: Olympus 17 mm f 1.2 Pro, 45 mm f 1.2 Pro, Voigtlander 17.5 mm f 0.95

pdelux wrote:

Sbarnaveli wrote:.

Thanks! Yeah, I agree with your reasoning. And selling the Pro and then buying the Voigtlander is just too much of a hassle, in my opinion and 1.2->0.95 difference shouldn't be thaaaat dramatic either, I think. And although I'm fine with manual focus and can live with it, I much prefer autofocus on my main lenses. I do have vintage lenses that I love to use and it gives a different feeling when you work with manual lenses that are also well built, but I would strongly prefer to have an autofocus. Ok, if there's no other choice than to have 17mm in MF, I'm fine with that, but as 17mm pro is available, I do think that it is a way more practical choice as well (and lighter).

Maybe one day I'll be very rich and add Leica system for these feelings and nice manual lenses (as I don't see any other practical reasons to go for Leica other than for a nice shooting experience and the joy of working with products of a very high quality mechanical engineering, which I appreciate), but currently still in my PhD stage, so a bit early to think about that for me

I have the voigtlander myself and I can tell you it does produce nice images*

* in the right conditions.

The problem with it is that getting the right conditions for this lens can sometimes be challenging. Its unusuable to me at F0.95 (too soft and flarey), so I use it mostly at 1.2.

It suffers from alot of purple/green fringing. DOes not do well with flaring when there are light sources around

If you can control all these issues, it is a great lense.

But it is extremely sharp from F2 onwards (but are you buying a fast lense to use at F2?)

I think you the Olympus will be a much better "controlled" lense, but it wont get as sharp at F4 like the voigtlander, but its plenty sharp wideopen

Yes, in the end I also thought that Olympus would be much more controlled and clean (clinical, as people refer to the good modern lenses - and that's exactly what I want - I don't want this particular lens to have a character, which I can not override when needed. And glow is clearly one of them - I have vintage lenses for character). But thanks for clearing that part about Voigtlander as well - now I'm sure that I did it right by going for 17 Pro instead of 25 Pro + Voigtlander

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow