Olympus 17 mm f 1.2 Pro, 45 mm f 1.2 Pro, Voigtlander 17.5 mm f 0.95

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Sbarnaveli Junior Member • Posts: 25
Re: Olympus 17 mm f 1.2 Pro, 45 mm f 1.2 Pro, Voigtlander 17.5 mm f 0.95

Jan Chelminski wrote:

Sbarnaveli wrote:

George1958 wrote:

Putting the various specifications to one side for a moment, In practical terms there are folk who appear to get nice portraits in low light and with a nice bokeh if that is required.

We all know that Gavin Howy is an Olympus ambassador , his portrait work is testament to what can be achieved .

for me, it’s risky to talk about aperture, T values , crop sensors etc . These are immutable facts but also can become a mental and creative barrier to pushing creative thinking . My reference point is always “how did they do that” for sure there is a large body of very impressive work out there for reference points. While ever you are looking at you feet, you can not see the horizon .

Thanks for the post and for the reference. I checked him out and indeed, his technical skills are very good!

AGREE:

• I agree, that it is very easy to fall into the trap of gear, GAS and chasing the latest and greatest. And as it will probably take away most of your time that you could have spent refining your photography skills (I admit, I have fallen into this trap many times before and therefore constantly checking myself not to fall there again), people end up not knowing how to make the most of the gear that they already have and they don't develop (or very slowly, at best) in terms of quality of photography.

THOUGH:

• At the same time, I also believe that it is very important to know the technical details and abilities of the cameras and lenses in order to be able to reach the same quality as Gavin Hoey is getting. Additionally, at some point you eventually reach the point where you more or less know what, why and how you want to achieve in your picture and sometimes you also need a corresponding gear that can help you achieve that.
  • Understanding gear is also important in the view of the fact, that all of it is so expensive! You don't want to spend all your money on a piece of gear and then regret it as it can not give what you expected. Weighted and calculated decisions are most of the time your best bet and for that you clearly need to know what a particular piece of gear is going to provide.

Again, I have to stress, that I agree that becoming a gear head and owning 10 systems and chasing the best can be very time consuming and actually bad, if what you're after is quality of your photography. (Though, it has to be said that there's a huge part of the community for whom gear or the process of using it rather than the actual results is a source of joy and that is also perfectly fine).

ALL IN ALL:

Reading about the gear is basically like the HDR technique: if you overdo, it can be bad/horrible, but if done properly, it can be very helpful. You shouldn't get rid of this technique just because many people overdo it - that will also limit you.

So my choice is to try both - 1) understand my gear and 2)understand what makes the great photographs, movies or paintings so great and how can I implement that into my photography to develop further.

In the end, I think a healthy balance has to be found - going from one radical point to another is also not helpful and will hinder one's development.

At the same time, I think finding a balance in any area is probably the most difficult thing in life

I think you will really like the lens.

The excellent technical quality, that begins at f/1.2, and really ends all the way down at f/11 (this lens has enough 'late' sharpness and quality to set well it apart from others, IMO), means you will find it indeed can, stand alone. It does stand alone.

Small size, super fast aperture and focus, and exceptional quality over all f-stops, from f/1.2 to f/11, or so.

It's a bit of a grail, is it not? A small, fast and sharp, day or night, rain and shine, all-time classic lens! 😀

Rgds,

Jan

I expect to like it a lot as well

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow