Best Combination?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Barlowephoto
Barlowephoto Contributing Member • Posts: 749
Best Combination?

Hi, I'm a retired pro shooter going on 73. I've decided digital is too much like my jobs ( and its not challenging ) so I've decided to shoot MF film. I have a Rollei and a Mamiya 645. I've shot some Fomapan 100. It was so-so. Have been trying TMY 400, seems better.

Trouble is, I'm not seeing the classic MF look in the negs. Now, I know what a good neg looks like, and I'm not getting those smooth, creamy OOF bkgnds and sharp subjects. The Foma is grainy. The TMY less so.

Question, would I be better off shooting TMX 100? or something like Ilford FP4. The funny thing is, I've used ALL these films some 35 years ago, and the images always  looked fantastic. But I just can't seem to duplicate those results, now in 2020!

I'm using T-Max Developer. Would a switch to D-76 bring back the creamy velvety tones. I'm trying to stay away from higher contrast. Too many amateurs go for, and are perfectly happy with soot and whitewash. I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum. I love gradation and translucent highlights!

Anybody care to comment? Thank you for your consideration. Jeff Barlowe

Barlowephoto's gear list:Barlowephoto's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow