Am I doing polar alignment right please?

Started 4 weeks ago | Questions thread
daveco2
daveco2 Contributing Member • Posts: 931
Re: Am I doing polar alignment right please?

Hello Cheddarman,

You say, "I open Polar Scope Align on my iPhone and adjust the wedge horizontally (by the two little horizontal knobs) and vertically to put Polaris on the centre of the three graticule circles where indicated by the Polar Scope Align App."

I don't know if you meant to say that you put Polaris on the center of the graticule circles.

The center of the graticule circles represents earth's rotation axis, projected into space as the so-called celestial axis around which everything rotates, including Polaris.  Polaris is about 0.75 deg from the celestial axis and represents a convenient starting point, but it is not the point to which you want to align your mount's right ascension axis.  Rather, you need to adjust your mount so that Polaris is located at the point on the polarscope circle indicated by your phone app.

If your polar alignment seems to be off, you could give drift alignment a try.  It's not as tedious as it appears.

Pardon me if you were already aware of this and if my comments are redundant.

daveco2's gear list:daveco2's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a7R II Sony a7R III
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow