LUMIX 20mm II - Purple Fringing?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Danny V Junior Member • Posts: 26
LUMIX 20mm II - Purple Fringing?

Hi All,

Have owned a Panasosnic Lumix G85 for about two years.  Shot at first with the 12-60 kit lens, and a year ago added the LUMIX 45-150.  Use DXO PhotoLab Elite 2.3.2 as my photo editor.  Shoot RAW and JPG but usually process/edit RAW.  All was well; satisfied with the results.

Recently purchased the LUMIX 20mm II lens.  When viewing the RAW files, I'm seeing a lot of purple fringing in the usual places - tree branches with green leaves and a bright sky behind them.  Was at the ocean recently and images of waves crashing against rocks show excessive purple fringing on the spray droplets.

DXO has a "Chromatic Aberration" sub option "Purple Fringing," which I have ticked on, but I have to crank the associated "Intensity" option to 90% to mitigate the purple fringing.  (I am aware that DXO will not display the results of the Chromatic Aberration filter at image sizes less than 75%.)

On JPGs, the purple fringing is barely visible, as if the DXO JPG default preset is accounting for it.

I'm absolutely certain I have the correct DXO modules (both JPG and RAW) for the LUMIX 20mm II ASPH lens loaded in DXO.

I also see the same fringing when viewing both RAW and JPGs with the default SILKYPIX STUDIO 8.x editor (but I rarely use it).  And as with DXO, the JPGs exhibit much less fringing.

I'm surprised.  The lens gets decent reviews and I haven't seen any mention of "Purple Fringing." - but I'm definitely seeing it.  Other than the fringing issue, the lens seems all right to me (some linear distortion - but that's corrected easily in DXO).

Any insight into this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Danny V.

Panasonic G85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow