Lumix S5 - The first impression thread

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Fairlane Regular Member • Posts: 273
Lumix S5 - The first impression thread

Starting this for those who would like to share their first impressions of the new S5.

I got mine today, and after playing around with it for half an hour or so, these are my initial impressions. I am comparing this to the G9 i recently sold, to fund this jewel.

- Coming from the Lumix G9 everything is very familiar. Similar body, about the same size and weight. Seems very sturdy and a high quality build. As expected from Pana.

- Very nice grip and overall a very solid feel. Seems very well balanced with the kit lens.

- With the 20-60mm kit lens attached, there isn't much of a weight penalty from a comparable setup on the G9. The lens is bigger of course, but still a very positive surprise. The lens also seems to be very well built.

- The biggest surprise to me so far is the EVF. I expected this to be the real downgrade from the G9, but if I would never had guessed it's a 2.36 dot EVF on this thing. It is very bright and clear and I can't really notice any difference from the 3.6 dot on the G9. Of course a bit early to conclude, but at 120fps this thing looks really good to me.

- Much better placement of the joystick compared to the G9.

- Really bright and clear screen. A nice step up from the G9.

- Sweet looks, I'm already in love.

....More later, when I've had a chance to take some shots.

Fairlane's gear list:Fairlane's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN Panasonic Lumix S 20-60mm F3.5-5.6
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow