Too much dust inside the inner lens of an Oly 12-40 f2.8 Pro ?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
cba_melbourne Senior Member • Posts: 3,137
Re: Too much dust inside the inner lens of an Oly 12-40 f2.8 Pro ?

martin_sc42 wrote:

Did anybody check his Olympus pro Zoom Lenses (12-40 f2.8 or 40-150 f2.8) for dust inside in the inner lens (where the aperture control is located) ?

I am just a bit puzzled how much small particle dust is inside my sealed Oly 12-40 f2.8 Pro after 15 months of normal use when compared to my non sealed 3+ years old heavy used Pana 14-140 f3.5-f5.6. (the later one was also in Peru, the dessert and Co.) - luckily it is still under warranty...................

The 12-40 is an external zoom. It changes it's length (or trombones) when zooming. This means it breathes in air as you expand it. The 12-40 is fitted with a mesh filter to keep out sand and coarse dust particles. But finest dust (as well as vapor and smoke) will obviously get through the mesh, and deposit on interior surfaces.

12-40 lens. The yellow bit is the filter mesh that goes around the barrel. It is just a very thin fine mesh, not something like a felt or a foam that could trap finest dust particles. I have seen somewhere a picture of that filter, but can't remember where.... sorry.

cba_melbourne's gear list:cba_melbourne's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow