Macro Photos Without Focus Stacking.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ZilverHaylide Contributing Member • Posts: 669
Re: Macro Photos Without Focus Stacking.

AeroPhotographer wrote:

I downsized my comparison pics to have the exact number of pixels that the author published. The watch face was 600x366 pixels. That was a factor of 5.08 smaller than my original 1860 pixels tall. Here it is.

I could easily double this pic in a quality upsizer. But it's already too tall for my intended

use, which is to be viewed online. I was not recommending my approach for gold standard prints. Incidentally the above pic is 46% of the full height of the frame.

Best regards,

Alan

PS I just quickly composed the above pic and shot. With a bit of experimenting and a smaller aperture, I can make a taller pic which is as sharp as the 20 frame stack. Many photographers are afraid of small apertures due to diffraction. But I recover diffraction softening with a bit of sharpening in edit. Diffraction isn't nearly as severe as many people think it is.

I agree that your technique of just using a small aperture (and greater distance) looks fine if your use doesn't require too many pixels, or too much resolution. And online use (or small printed size) would certainly fall into that category.

Reducing subject size on sensor, you're effectively using a smaller format sensor, with the greater depth of field that provides. One could ACTUALLY USE a smaller sensor -- I've seen some nice close-up and macro results from some small-sensor Panasonic "bridge"-type cameras.

As with any photography, consideration of specific end-use is important in deciding what equipment and what technique makes sense in terms of adequate quality and cost- and time-effectiveness. Way too many persons on these forums spend an inordinate amount of time and money seeking a "better" -- or even the "best" -- camera or lens, without giving any significant thought about whether what they already have is actually more than good enough for their intended use.

This reminds me of a small rounded box-like device that my father had dating from the late 1940s or early 1950s for exposing enlarging paper to produce small black and white prints (perhaps 3.5 x 5 inches, for proofing, or even final results for uncritical use). Distances from negative and to paper were fixed, and it used a fixed-focus lens of very small size with what must have been a very small aperture (IIRC, about the size of a pinhead) to ensure adequate depth of field. Since use was B&W printing and paper sensitivity was relatively narrow band, chromatic aberrations were inconsequential and lens could be simple. No focusing was necessary, and small prints could be produced at a fairly fast pace and with little effort. Crude, but adequate and efficient.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow