Just coming back

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
DeathArrow Senior Member • Posts: 3,387
Re: Just coming back

Disp10-9 wrote:

I've recently just returned to photography after a bit of a hiatus. I previously had a Nikon d3100 that I used to shoot travel photography. I am looking to spend $3000 and here is what I know (list of priorities).

1. I want to go with the sony brand. All of my research has been on sony and I recently got to play around with an a7iii and loved the image quality.

2. I will mainly shoot while traveling/backpacking. So I need something small both in the lens and body. I plan to carry a very small day bag inside my travel backpack, so I will only have room for two small lenses or 1 medium sized lens total. In that same vein, I want to go light.

3. Image quality. I hope to print off an occasional 8x10 from my travels.

4. The order of what I like to shoot is 1. Travel photography 2. Landscape 3. Wildlife 4. I would like to learn astrophotography (milky way and northern lights).

5. I'm okay dropping most of my budget on a really nice lens if it covers what I want. In fact I would prefer it.

My first thought was to go with the the a series, but I've not been impressed with the 6400 or 6600. The shallow depth of field bothers me, but maybe it's just my lack of experience with it.

Any recommendations or direction would be greatly appreciated. I've started to become confused in what I really want and am talking myself into a cybershot or up to the new A7c.

A7III is a solid camera and it has a great price/performance ratio. To get some quality glass is a must if you want to extract maximum quality from it.

For travel and landscape I would suggest getting Tamron 18-28 f/2.8 and either Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 or Tamron 24-70 f/2.8

I would add an 35 or 50mm f/1.8 or 1.4 prime for situations where light is really low. Samyang 35mm has a really good price and is great optically. Sigma has some nice prime lenses, too.

DeathArrow's gear list:DeathArrow's gear list
Sony RX100 VA Nikon D300 Nikon D610 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow