Too much dust inside the inner lens of an Oly 12-40 f2.8 Pro ?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
martin_sc42 New Member • Posts: 12
Too much dust inside the inner lens of an Oly 12-40 f2.8 Pro ?

Did anybody check his Olympus pro Zoom Lenses (12-40 f2.8 or 40-150 f2.8) for dust inside in the inner lens (where the aperture control is located) ?

I am just a bit puzzled how much small particle dust is inside my sealed Oly 12-40 f2.8 Pro after 15 months of normal use when compared to my non sealed 3+ years old heavy used Pana 14-140 f3.5-f5.6. (the later one was also in Peru, the dessert and Co.) - luckily it is still under warranty.

In particular where is a lot of dust on the lens that holds the aperture control unit. How to check: You remove it from the camera mount at f2.8 so that the aperture control stays open. Zoom to max (here 40mm) look to down front lens towards bottom, the front element over a weak LED lamp. Looking now into it from behind at a similar distance as the sensor the inner lens and the lens with the aperture control is in focus.

Its difficult to make a picture, its no fungus i always kept the lenses try, it looks all like tiny little dust specs. I did not detect image quality problems so far on RAW.

Image: Oly 12-40 f2.8 Dust on inner lens with the aperture control. Image is not fully sharp.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow