Olympus 17 mm f 1.2 Pro, 45 mm f 1.2 Pro, Voigtlander 17.5 mm f 0.95

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Jan Chelminski
Jan Chelminski Senior Member • Posts: 2,283
Re: Olympus 17 mm f 1.2 Pro, 45 mm f 1.2 Pro, Voigtlander 17.5 mm f 0.95

Sbarnaveli wrote:

Thanks!

I agree with the points about excessive bokeh, but as I outlined in my original post, I'm not trying to get it. I want to have a reasonable amount of bokeh just as in the examples from the movie that I posted (and I think a movie of that scale is as professional as it can get).

I also completely agree that 1.8 primes are real gems and a lot can be done with them and I haven't even got close to getting the most out of them.

I was actually not planning to buy any more lenses and be happy with my 1.8s, but it is simply the fact that I could get a new Em1 mkii with 5 years of warranty for the same price (or a bit cheaper) as used ones and a new 1.2 lens for cheaper than the used prices. So that's why I started thinking that I could make use of this 1.2 aperture blur for cases like in the movie screenshots and went for the deal.

And your comment about sharpness is also a good one - 1.8s (especially the ones that I have in 40-50mm range) are not that even across the frame, so there 17 1.2 might also be beneficial for me.

Hi,

Just reread your original post, I think I should recomment.

The 17mm is excellent, but the 25mm may be the best. While the 17mm is trying (and succeeding, very well) to be a fast, sharp and technically balanced optic, the 25mm actually seems closer to me, in character with what you seem to be after, which I think is: A classy, refined character and rendering 'habit'. If so, thats your lens, IMO.

It's the real star of the bunch, if you are after an extremely refined rendering.

Another lens I think has 'cinema like' rendering, is the 10-25mm f/1.7.

All 3 MZD 1.2's are great, I would study pictures and consider perspective, I think 45mm might often be a bit too little, in that dept, so 17/25mm may be best.

heres a couple

17mm @ 1.2. Sculpture is about 2.5 to 3 feet tall.

Also f/1.2

Rgds,

Jan

-- hide signature --

"The camera introduces us to to unconscious optics as does psychoanalysis to unconscious impulses"
------
"The art of the critic in a nutshell: to coin slogans without betraying ideas. The slogans of an inadequate criticism peddle ideas to fashion."
-------
- Walter Benjamin
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Drawing is a constant correcting of errors, maybe a great deal of creation is exactly that."
-----
- John Berger
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"...to photograph is to frame, and to frame is to exclude."
------
-- Susan Sontag

Jan Chelminski's gear list:Jan Chelminski's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow