Lightroom Classic and External Drives.

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
christakesphotos New Member • Posts: 1
Lightroom Classic and External Drives.

Hey Guys,

Have been looking through past threads and can't quite find what I'm hoping to find so figured I'd ask instead.

For a while now I've been creating a catalog in Lightroom for each year I shoot and then moving it to a backup drive at the end of the year. I've started needing to view and access older image more often now so I'm starting to think about merging all my catalogs into one for ease.

I'm going to store the catalog file and previews on my Mac's SSD and move all of the photo's to an external drive so that they are all in once place.

Can anyone recommend what drive would be suitable to host a 4-6TB library and still be fast enough to sync and use. Would a standard WD 6TB drive be suitable or would I suffer slowdown? Id ideally like to keep it as cheap as possible but if it's not going to be suitable then I don't mind spending more on a Thunderbolt 3 drive which I'm assuming is a lot faster. My main library will stay at home on the desk and the Catalog will travel with me on my MBP. Unfortunately until I can spring for a new iMac I have to make do with a mobile workstation.

Sorry for the long winded question, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

christakesphotos's gear list:christakesphotos's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +10 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow