Olympus 17 mm f 1.2 Pro, 45 mm f 1.2 Pro, Voigtlander 17.5 mm f 0.95

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ahaslett
ahaslett Veteran Member • Posts: 7,283
Re: Olympus 17 mm f 1.2 Pro, 45 mm f 1.2 Pro, Voigtlander 17.5 mm f 0.95

Sbarnaveli wrote:

Thanks for a nice and detailed reply!

I agree with your points and indeed, 75 can give me a similar bokeh to 45 1.2 outdoors, when I'm not restricted in the distance.

As to 20mm 1.7 and 12-40 wide open at 20mm I think that might not be enough with distances so small between the subject and the background. I've been trying to check that at home and with the lenses but as I currently don't have people around it is a bit hard to check.

Nice pictures! In the first one the background is definitely blurred enough, but it is also further than in some of the examples of the movie, I think.

The second picture made me now think about 25 1.2 - maybe that's the perfect middle ground?

However based on the examples that I've seen so far, I do think that 17 should also be to give me more or less good bokeh in these cases.

25/1.2 works well for head and shoulders indoors but is a bit tight to capture two people. 17mm allows you to stand closer to the group and still get them in. How blurred the background is will depend on the relative distance to subject and to background. With the 25mm, you are further from the subjects - provided the room is big enough.

If 17/1.2 isn’t shallow enough, then I’d buy a used FF DSLR and 35/1.4. Otherwise you could take the MFT 17/1.2 as a challenge to your composition skills. Constraints build skills and vision. Maybe using the 17/1.2 will be a better and cheaper way of developing your obvious talent.

I rather like the 25mm focal length as a way of getting more intimate portraits but 17mm works better for groups.

Here are some images from my bathroom mirror. The distance from me to the mirror and back is about the same as from me to the cabinet behind me.

17/1.2 equivalent

Notice how blurred the towel is, despite being closer to me than I am to the camera (via the mirror). Also notice how tight the framing is in a relatively small room.

Several people suggested a 17/0.95...

17/0.7 equivalent

Now even the shower cabinet close behind me is blurred, or the tap which is just behind.

My aim for this 35/1.4 lens is to take pictures where the background looks like the first image but there is a wider view, showing more of the environment, more clearly.

You can see that I'm close enough that perspective distortion is making my nose look large and very little of me is in critical focus. Compare that with the image taken with a 55/1.8 at f/2.4 where the subject framing is similar but the room is larger and I was further from a mirror.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin
Please feel free to edit any images that I post

ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +27 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow