Back button Focussing OPTIONS esp BIF

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
fairfaxian Regular Member • Posts: 293
Back button Focussing OPTIONS esp BIF

Being an older semi-luddite can make one resistant to CHANGE. But in an effort to achieve sharper images, sometimes there's the need to crawl out of the rut & and improve technique -i.e. Back Button Focussing. Until viewing the video link below, I didn't grasp the advantage of being able to quickly toggle between Static and Moving subjects to best advantage.

The one feature that throws me is the suggestion of DISABLING shutter button focus. In the video he advocates ONLY back button focus. So I'm worried that out of habit I might attempt shutter button focus on a sudden moving subject and miss the shot. Will enabling shutter button focussing thwart BBF?

As described in the video, I am often switching between static & moving subjects. (like when photographing Elk with the occasional raptor flyover)

Are there other workable BBF settings options? I see how allowing shutter button focus would conflict with back button focussing. Just curious how other BIF shooters (esp with 7DII) configure their BBF settings. Other suggestions appreciated.

For those not wanting to view the video, he advocates configuring on rear button for static BBF and another for Servo BBF. He also suggested disabling shutter button focus. (that's a leap of faith for this old cur)

back button focusing canon 7d mark ii

Canon EOS 7D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow