Dynamic range in Fuji camera vs other brands

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JohnNewman
JohnNewman Contributing Member • Posts: 817
Dynamic range in Fuji camera vs other brands

Hello folks

I'm looking at getting a small lightweight kit to supplement other gear and want to use it as a walk-around outfit. To this end I'm not bothered about the discussions whether Bayer or X-trans is better for Raw files as I intend to largely shoot jpeg on the new kit (likely the X-T200). I'm attracted to Fuji as I've used it before (X-E3 and X-T20) and know from experience the jpegs are pretty darned good.

I am wondering however, as I know lower end Fuji cams don't do in-camera HDR, how the Dynamic Range facility compares to Sony's DRO (or other jpeg solutions for high contrast scenes such as Canon's ALO, Nikon's Active D-Lighting etc).

My understanding is that dependent on the setting the image is under exposed and then the shadows lightened keeping the highlights properly exposed. Having recently used a Sony APS-C camera I found DRO to be so-so and thought that  in-camera HDR was probably a better option - except where there was movement.

If anyone has used both Fuji and other brands I'd be grateful for any thoughts. I'll likely make the decision in favour of the X-T200 anyway but it would be good to know what to expect.

Many thanks in advance,

John.

JohnNewman's gear list:JohnNewman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Canon EOS RP Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 Apple iPhone 6s
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow