Trouble with G9 and EM1 mk ii autofocus settings...

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Sheeno Junior Member • Posts: 32
Trouble with G9 and EM1 mk ii autofocus settings...

Hi all, as a relative newcomer to photography who prefers to use manual focusing + back button AF, I've been thinking about how best I would like my camera settings to be. To me, the most practical general purpose set-up seems to be MF, but with C-AF assigned to the back button, so it'll constantly refocus as long as I hold the button down and then stop when I let go. However, with both of my devices (G9 and EM1 mk ii), I cannot work out how to implement this properly, although the problem is different for each device.

For the EM1 mk ii, I actually have achieved the above, but the only problem seems to be that the magnify option for assisting MF is disabled when I enable C-AF. I find magnify extremely useful for helping me to manually focus, so I consider it indispensable. It is not disabled when S-AF is enabled, so 1) does anyone know why C-AF disables MF magnifcation? and 2) is there a way around this, so I can preserve MF magnification but also have the back button C-AF for as long as it is held?

As for the G9, I can't seem to enable C-AF at all whilst still being able to MF. Essentially, regardless of the settings I use, if the lever is set to MF, I can't seem to find any setting that would make the back button C-AF, and if I set the lever to C-AF, I lose all ability to MF via the lens dial.

Any help on the above would be appreciated! If it's impossible to set it up as I would like for either device,  I suppose I'd like to know why no-one else wants to do this, as it seems most intuitive to me but I've not heard anyone else asking about it.

Thanks!

Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow