Olympus 17 mm f 1.2 Pro, 45 mm f 1.2 Pro, Voigtlander 17.5 mm f 0.95

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Jan Chelminski
Jan Chelminski Senior Member • Posts: 2,283
Re: Take a look at examples of the images made by the lens

pdelux wrote:

Flickr is a good place. Here is a 17 F 1.2 flickr group:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/4045539@N22/pool/

IMO Olympus 17 1.2 is the best lens in the whole system - because I love the rendering and the FL (yet I do not own one)

It might be, I think you are right, it is superlative.

17mm is great for "environmental" portraits you describe. But I wouldnt attempt to do tight headshots with it - due to distortion of its wide angle. Keep the subject away from the extreme edges of the frame

But otherwise, excellent for environmental, and also as a one-lens choice.

From wide open, it has excellent sharpness to the edges, along with adequate/practical in-focus depth and a superb, you could say, 'cinematic' defocus habit.

However if you want your images to have the cinematic look you have to be willing to "grade" (post process) your images like films do. start first with Shooting RAW. Then find the right tools you need to process the images to how you want.

I think you are correct, the 17/1.2's output, processed as you indicate, would indeed be a great way for the OP to go.

Rgds,

Jan

-- hide signature --

"The camera introduces us to to unconscious optics as does psychoanalysis to unconscious impulses"
------
"The art of the critic in a nutshell: to coin slogans without betraying ideas. The slogans of an inadequate criticism peddle ideas to fashion."
-------
- Walter Benjamin
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Drawing is a constant correcting of errors, maybe a great deal of creation is exactly that."
-----
- John Berger
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"...to photograph is to frame, and to frame is to exclude."
------
-- Susan Sontag

Jan Chelminski's gear list:Jan Chelminski's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow