Any sports photographer here? Is X-T4 a good body for your job?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
shineofleo Forum Member • Posts: 84
Any sports photographer here? Is X-T4 a good body for your job?

I am a long term Nikon and Fujifilm user. However for professional use, I stick with my Nikon. I do various types of photography, and one part of them is sports. I always use my D5 + 70-200 F/2.8 for such as football, tennis, swimming, and recently ,cycling. I am very happy with the result, no complaints - until I feel maybe it is time to reduce some weight of the equipments - no, I am not going to admit that I am getting old...:-|

As for Fuji, I had the first generation X100, X-T1 and GFX50R. I've got 10-24, 23 F/2, 56 F/1.2 and 50-140 F/2.8. GFX50R is another story but I do use it for professional use. The others are for hobby only - long time ago.

Now the mirrorless is getting more popular and better bodies are coming, also from other brands. So there are more choices but much more difficult to make decisions.

I will stick the topic at "sports", with AF performance, tracking, high FPS etc., I don't care about so-called AI ability such as auto face detection but it is good to have. I don't care about full frame or cropped frame, as long as the focal length is all right and IQ is good, I am happy and my clients are happy.

Now I have multiple potential choices:

* Since I have some Fuji lenses already, 50-140 especially which is a direct convert from my current use, getting a X-T4 body. (Or X-T3, as some people would say)

* I do have Nikon Z6, I may get the new 70-200 lenses for z body - which is more expensive than X-T4 body.... However I doubt the Z6 AF performance can take the job - compared with D5? Or compared with X-T4?

* Wait. There is rumour that new Nikon flagship mirrorless body is coming? Yes it will be expensive, but if it is as good as D5, I am willing to invest - and replace my D5, because it is too heavy!

So some questions like:

* If you have Nikon, either DSLR or mirrorless, how do you compare X-T4 for professional jobs? This is important, because working under pressure is different scenario from leisure use.

* As for sports photography, I guess you may use CH mode. How is the hit rate? Does the AF result disappoint you? Or it makes your life much easier? Do you get a good picture among those bursts easily? Or you have to try multiple time - even that, still fail to get what you want? Or not?

* Anything you are happy with X-T4 for sports? Or anything you miss from DSLR?

My another thoughts is that if X-T4 can take over the sports jobs, maybe it can take the rest kinds of photography types... so let's start from here.

Thanks!

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon D5 Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow