Low ceiling Top down challenge

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Ed Shapiro
Ed Shapiro Regular Member • Posts: 368
Re: Low ceiling Top down challenge

Currantos wrote:

Thank you great points

8ft standard ceiling apartment

Standing poses only, athletes and gymnasts and dancers don't want anything sitting or on the floor, they want to show off the body and rightly so. It's mostly physique, no portraits. The portrait of the dancer is their body/poses/extension. For true portraits they can sit on a really low stool, I did that, works fine for the face only look.

This is more full body

I know, 8ft with a 6 ft model is basically bordering on unrealistic.

Another idea I can run by you- don't worry about overhead lighting As for full body shits that extenuate the physique and musculature, lighting from the side at 35, 45, 90 and 135 degrees from the camera/subject axis will work well. I use that method for dancers. athletes, body builders, etc.

A typical lighting would be an off-camera light in a soft-box or umbrella, a bounced off the ceiling in back of the camera or a large white umbrella for fill. If you want to light or glamorize the hair, a small direct but diffused light source on a boom arm or mounted on the ceiling can work at 2 feet from the subject. The so-called hair light can come in from behind the subject.

-- hide signature --

Ed Shapiro- Commercial and Portrait Photographer. Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow