Selling Prints Online

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NotASpeckOfCereal Senior Member • Posts: 1,513
Selling Prints Online

Hi all, I have a SmugMug account and am thinking of upping the plan to have a commercial presence, e-commerce, the pro plan, etc.

Can anyone here with experience at selling prints commercially (SmugMug or otherwise) answer these questions?

1. File Type: They formats they allow (that I'm interested in) are JPG and PNG. So I have been saving full-resolution, highest JPG quality (from Photoshop). If someone orders a large print size, is PNG going to be better than JPG (resolve with more detail at high print sizes)? The images are the same pixel-size / DPI, the only differences besides compression seems to be bit depth (24 vs 48). The JPGs are, of course, first generation (pixel peeping on the monitor shows no difference in detail).
  2. Color Space: They recommend sRGB for consistent color across their labs. Is that your experience? (I've already turned off site-controlled color management, but I believe that is just screen display related.)

Thanks for any tips,
Chris

NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list:NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow