600mm/4 IS mount replacement?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
UZI2D30 Regular Member • Posts: 106
600mm/4 IS mount replacement?

Does anyone know if Canon super-teles all have a standard lens mount replacement?

My Canon 600mm/4 IS lost the internal ring on the lens mount, where the pin from the camera locks the lens to the body. On the 600 and 200-400 (at least) there is a secondary 'cup' around the pin hole that makes it the exact size of the pin. The cup has gone AWOL so now there is a slight twist when the lens is locked to the body. I was hoping to replace the mount from another of my lenses but I tried the 70-200 non-IS and the mount is slightly thicker on the 600 even though all the screws are identical... I'm guessing to accommodate the weather seal and probably for added strength.

Since I've already had the mount off completely I'm "sure" (confidence of inexperience) I could replace it without the expense of shipping the lens someplace.

The lens is completely functional unless I twist in one direction too far and I lose communication with the camera and have to completely disconnect the body and lens to reset.

Looking to see if there is a standard replacement part available for the lenses mount since shipping that should be much cheaper than shipping the lens.

UZI2D30's gear list:UZI2D30's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1D X Mark II +15 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow