A7ii vs A7rii vs A7iii (only lenses would be different)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
QuietOC
QuietOC Veteran Member • Posts: 4,244
Re: A7ii vs A7rii vs A7iii (only lenses would be different)

Och Elo wrote:

My wife is looking to get back into photography, she previously shot with DSLRs. She really likes the feel of the Sony cameras, and she's contemplating 3 different options with similar cost.

A7ii with 28-70 kit + 1 high quality prime or 2-3 good primes : So maybe add the 24mm 1.4 or the 28mm + 55mm. She doesn't shoot wider than 28mm that often so the 24mm isn't a must, but it would give her the option, add low light capability, stay compact (important to her) and be really good IQ-wise.

A7rii with Tamron 28-75 2.8: Good body with good lens, very versatile and fairly compact kit.

A7iii with 28-70 kit + 1 cheap prime : So add something like the FE 50mm 1.8 or a Samyang lens for low light.

She may add lenses down the line, but assume this is the kit she'll shoot with for at least a year or so. What would be the best kit?

Sony cameras have strong resale value. You can start with the cheapest option, and enjoy more lenses. The A7II is not very good in low light or with action. Your other options are not up-to-date with AF features either.

I have no personal experience owning just a single lens, but I find 28-75 F2.8 rather limiting the few times I've used one. I wouldn't recommend it as an only lens. The 28-70 OSS can be very good and often only add $100 to the body-only cost.

I like the 50mm F1.8.

I'll recommend the Tamron 20mm F2.8 OSD for wide angle.

I've been enjoying the Canon EF 70-200 F4L USM recently using it mainly as a 200 mm prime.

QuietOC's gear list:QuietOC's gear list
Pentax Q7 Sony a7 III NEX-5T Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM +123 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow