Trade-offs

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MarkMyWords Regular Member • Posts: 145
Trade-offs

Recently, a number of friends asked me to take some family portraits at a wedding we were all attending, recognising the opportunity with them and the kids dressed up.

I didn't want to be encumbered for the evening (read: what could I get away with in my wife's hand bag). I considered the G7X - a great travel compact - but short of crop sensor IQ. I went with an XT20 and 27mm, shooting between f/2.8 and f/4 to ensure enough DOF. Without IBIS or OIS, I conservatively set the shutter to 125, and in the shaded afternoon light this meant ISO 400 to 640 at f/4. Even using 125 a couple of the shots had a hint of shake blur (it was all a bit haphazard and rushed).

All fine, but I realised that had I taken the XH1, I could have shot at base ISO and removed any traces of camera shake.

No major insight here, although it did reinforce for me the "safety net" and extended reach that IBIS provides (or OIS). Any thoughts or wisdom from experience?

MarkMyWords's gear list:MarkMyWords's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 +11 more
Canon PowerShot G7 X Fujifilm X-T20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow