ND filter for street shooting?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 20,943
Re: ND filter for street shooting?

I have seen ND filters used in street photography to remove people.  If you use a very slow shutter speed, maybe several minutes, anybody moving will not be recorded.

In 1838, Louis Daguerre took a photo of a street scene.  Because of the very long exposure time, the only persons visible in the image are a man having his shoes cleaned and the shoe cleaner.  This is thought to be the first photograph of a human being.

https://mashable.com/2014/11/05/first-photograph-of-a-human/?europe=true

Somebody in my club took a series of early morning street scenes with very slow shutter speeds to eliminate all people and vehicles.  The results were a little disturbing because you are not used to seeing totally empty streets (except during Covid lockdown).

Somebody else in my club posted a 10 minute night time exposure of the King Charles Bridge in Prague which is normally packed with tourists until the floodlights are turned off at 11pm.  His image showed what appeared to be a totally empty bridge.  He also showed a normal exposure image with the bridge full of tourists.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow