Real time depth of field

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Toilet Roll
Toilet Roll Regular Member • Posts: 216
Real time depth of field

I was a bit surprised when getting my eos R that the DOF isn’t real time when stopping down, so for the lenses I use mostly (f1.4 and 1.8 primes) that’s the DOF i see through the evf or lcd all the time unless I use the depth of field preview.

Coming from Fuji, I am used to the real time stopping down represented before taking the shot and I believe Sony and Nikon Z series will present in real time, at least down to f5.6 in the latter.

It would be nice to have the option but ersonally it doesn’t bother me, as I heard Canon went this way to get faster AF and better low light. I’ve swapped the back button focus (which I never use anyway) for DOF preview so half pressing the shutter you can press it together before taking the shot I’ve found most convenient.

So, does the R5 and R6 also behave like the R and RP, that you don’t get real time bokeh? And which do you prefer, real time or the way Canon implemented it with their mirrorless cameras?

Toilet Roll's gear list:Toilet Roll's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Canon EOS R
Canon EOS R5 Ricoh Caplio R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow