X mount 23mm Sharpness Test

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Pennyfan
Pennyfan Contributing Member • Posts: 563
X mount 23mm Sharpness Test

I have not done any test chart shooting since becoming a Fuji guy, simply because there are much less lens sample variations in XF line (compares to Sony).
Upon arrival of my new Viltrox AF 23mm f1.2 STM, I have 3 lenses covered this focal length, I thought why not make a 23mm X mount lenses sharpness comparison before I sell the old XF23?

For those who is interested to see a full resolution version of this test result, you can download the PDF: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FkuaXiZ9Tdg6hc3AxtNvldvmF5GSRfts/view?usp=drivesdk

Some conclusions here:

Sharpness: XF23mm f1.4 is sharp across the whole frame, but Viltrox won centre sharpness wide open, while the sides and extreme corners are very soft until f2.8 and gets a lot better past f4. XF23mm f2 is simply a slightly weaker version of its f1.4 sibling.

Build Quality: Viltrox is no way on par with Fuji, but well made considered its price, and I actually don’t mind its click less aperture ring as it turns quite tight.

AF Speed: Fuji’s 23mm f2 is the fastest among the 3, with Viltrox comes in 2nd, noticeable better than XF23 f1.4 and a lot quieter.

I also noticed the Viltrox is a little narrower than XF23 f1.4 and the f2 version is a bit wider in term of field of view.

XF23mm f1.4 is indeed a superior lens overall, but I bought the Viltrox for its center sharpness wide open and faster AF speed, hope FUJIFILM will update their old prime lenses sooner, especially the 23mm, 35mm and 56mm.

Pennyfan's gear list:Pennyfan's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Venus Laowa 9mm F2.8 +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow