Does focus shift affect DSLRs only?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
virgil1612 Regular Member • Posts: 427
Does focus shift affect DSLRs only?

Hello,

I know what focus shift is: the focus point created by the external parts of the lens is different then the focus point created by the inner region of the lens. It is a defect created by the spherical aberration of the lens.

I know that there are differences between how DSLRs focus and how mirrorless cameras focus. For example, mirrorless cameras are not affected, at least in theory, by the back-focusing or front-focusing that sometimes plague DSLRs.

My question is: is there a difference for the focus shift also? Are mirrorless cameras doing something to counter the focus shift of a lens? Are they focusing at the shooting aperture, or they have to focus at maximum aperture like DSLRs? I am taking the plunge into the Z system, I have the Z50 and I will buy a full frame Z camera in the not too distant future, and I want to know what to expect from the behavior of those fast primes.

Thanks, Virgil.

virgil1612's gear list:virgil1612's gear list
Canon G7 X II Nikon Z50 Nikon Z 16-50mm F3.5-6.3 VR Nikon Z 50-250mm F4.5-6.3 VR
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow