Need help choosing between Sony A6600 and A7III

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
cxsparc
cxsparc Veteran Member • Posts: 3,637
Re: Need help choosing between Sony A6600 and A7III

losC41 wrote:

I bought an A6600 last month and have been very disappointed with the camera. I was coming from the A6000 and before that a NEX5. I shoot product stills and record church service videos. I upgraded primarily for the 4K video and thought the other features would future proof the purchase.

My biggest problem with the camera has been the viewfinder. It is the worst viewfinder I've ever seen on a modern camera, and had I been able to see one in person before buying, it would have been a deal breaker. I will post a thread on this with more details later.

My second problem is the poor 1080p video. I was using my A6000 as a webcam with a capture card and hoped to do the same with the A6600. The HDMI out at 1080 is very compressed and shows very noticeable banding in areas that should be smooth gradients. Fortunately the this does not show when recording to the SD card, but I don't remember my A6000 showing this at all.

A buddy sent me an A7III to try before I made my purchase. That camera was an order of magnitude better than the A6000. I passed on it because it was a little too big for me and, more importantly, all my lenses were aps-c and the crop mode on the A7III would cost me a significant resolution hit. I looked at the A7rII as a solution, but wanted to get something smaller and not so old.

There is a lot of hype surrounding the A6600 - mostly "influencers" reviewing/marketing the camera. It feels like a sheep in wolf's clothing to me.

What nonsense. The EVF of the A6600 is not worse in any way than that of the A6000. It is actually a bit better. Also, if you want HD video why not stick with the A6000? If you want strikingly better HD, record in 4k and downsize and n Handbrake. I sometimes even use video snapshots of 4k video as stills.

And what drivel to claim there is any hype or influencers about the A6600. If any, this camera had a lot of bad press due to the high initial price and lack of significant features.

I chose it due to an offer with the 1655 for 2300 Euros. That makes it a 1150 Euro price and that is good for a camera I can shot with for 3-5 days on one battery, with the improved AF tracking the A6400 has but the A6500 doesn't, a really fast startup time, a mechanical build the best of the A6x00 series and a good grip for the heavier lenses. And lastly, the Ibis makes it a good match for my 1655 and Sigma 56, both unstabilized.

If you are price limited and intend to use the 18135, get it bundled with the A6400.

If you can get a good bundle with the 1655 and have the money to waste, get the A6600.

The A6500 has the older AF and the small battery, and the older OOC jpg color rendering.

-- hide signature --

German/English Nex/A6000-Blog: http://luxorphotoart.blogspot.de/

cxsparc's gear list:cxsparc's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6600 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow