Is P mode less stupid on newer bodies?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TomFid Veteran Member • Posts: 3,520
Is P mode less stupid on newer bodies?

I've resisted upgrading my EM5ii, because I didn't want to go up in size (EM1 ii/iii or G9). But there's one thing that really bugs me about it.

I never use P mode myself, but when I give the camera to a family member who doesn't know much about the camera, I don't really have a choice but to set it that way. But then the P algorithm makes lots of abjectly stupid decisions, and the results are honestly not really competitive with a good phone.

One annoyance is that in bright light it'll run the aperture up to f14. But that's minor compared to what it does with teles in moderate light. If you use EFCS, it'll hold the shutter speed much higher than needed (say, 1/250) and run the ISO way up. But with eshutter, it holds low ISO, and goes to a shutter speed too low for a novice to reliably handhold (1/20). I'm not sure it has any real awareness of focal length in these decisions.

I fully realize that P can't read the photographers mind, but it wouldn't really be hard to avoid doing some things that no reasonable user would ever want.

So ... Are the EM1s, EM5iii, G95 or G9 any smarter, or just as bleepin useless in the hands of a novice?

Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow