Hot shoe vs Potato Masher style for usability??

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Richard Katris Veteran Member • Posts: 4,541
Hot shoe vs Potato Masher style for usability??

I find hotshoe flash units awkward to hand hold, and come from alot of use with potato masher units .  What I find is that a Potato masher makes for a much more secure rig when moving fast.  I have never been inspired by the hot shoe on camera both from the standpoint of strain it puts on the camera as well as the relatively tiny connection at the bottom of the flash.  I have had hot shoe units fly off the top of cameras when...something bad has happened...as when I was crossing the street once at night and failed to notice there was a 3 foot drop on the other side of the median strip.  Managed to keep the camera in my hands, strobe went flying...do not remember if it worked after that or not...but was not inspiring experience.  Also ...running and gunning...moving fast...all put a huge strain on that hot shoe and camera....on the other hand....handle mount unit with quick release has always allowed me to move fast, and remove the flash and hand aim it very quickly to get desired effects.  Also....if you use light modifiers on the flash..that just adds mass to that strobe...and puts even more strain on the hot shoe if that is how it is mounted..  Lastly...if you do not mount the flash on the camera.....then carrying the rig becomes more awkward.

I normally carry and shoot with two rigs with different lenses ...and I hate straps, so....just hang this over your arm upside down with arm between camera body and base of strobe...I also use light panels velcroed to the tops of the strobes usually to widen and soften the light) and shoot with the other rig then trade out..Modified Godox shown below contrasting with 611 /sunpak in first photo....I run either one w/HVP.   Also.....Godox 960 HVP works with both units with different cords.....actually also runs my 433D Sunpaks too if need  ...it is very nice.  Thoughts?

old corded rig non TTL but auto on camera sensor

new TTL radio rig.....w/handle and quick disconnect

-- hide signature --

Richard Katris aka Chanan

Richard Katris's gear list:Richard Katris's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +13 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow