Easy-to-disassemble lens

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
armin304 Contributing Member • Posts: 667
Re: A bit more advanced

Alphoid wrote:

I think they kids get focal length and (roughly) aperture.

I'd like to do some things which are a little bit more advanced: for example, it'd be nice to put in an aperture with a different shape (cut out of a piece of paper), and see bokeh balls. Or one with two holes side-by-side. And then talk about PSF and code up something along those lines. Or that sort of thing.

If you really want to take it apart, buy the cheapest you can find and some tiny screwdrivers.

A lot of lenses require specialized tools, or have tons of parts which are really hard to reassemble.

• I have a few CCTV lenses at home, which I have no chance of opening. I think they might be glued together? I'm not really sure, but there are no exposed things I can turn.
  • Minolta lenses I've opened for cleaning required spanner wrenches and things like that. In all cases, it was a super-involved process with fine parts (it doesn't help that they have AF, electronics, and all sorts of fanciness we don't really need for this).

One of the points is you want to do these sorts of things quickly, so it's not a one-hour operation each time you want to tinker with something.

Try to get a cheap medium format lens. At least the lenses for my Kiev 88, made in USSR, were easy to dismantle and reassembled again. I should know, the apertures of all of them were stuck at some time, because the grease used by the factory for the helicoid was really bad and got fluid like oil and got onto the aperture. No special tools needed, but a special lens wrench would have made it easier.

armin304's gear list:armin304's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Sony RX10 III Nikon D700 Samsung NX2000 Samsung NX30 +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow