Easy-to-disassemble lens

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Gerry Winterbourne Forum Pro • Posts: 17,846
Re: Easy-to-disassemble lens

Alphoid wrote:

What's a cheap, easiest-to-disassemble (and reassemble) lens?

As Klaus says, you don't need to take a lens apart to show what you describe below.

Teaching kids.

Last year I explained these things to my 10-year old granddaughter. (I also explained focal length by using two bare lenses - 50mm and 100mm - like a magnifying glass to focus a ceiling light on paper on the floor, and measuring their distances above the floor).

You just need to hold the lens in front of the face and move its aperture lever. You can even show that the size looks different front and back, and that it's the front size that's used for f-number.

It doesn't need to reassemble optically calibrated, but it should work (we use u4/3, since anything adapts).

Wide-ish aperture preferred. A big part of this is understanding what the aperture does, and that's easier if you can have big bokeh balls.

I'm thinking some historical lens from a now-dead MF mount? Or a cheap Chinese CCTV lens of some kind?

If you really want to take it apart, buy the cheapest you can find and some tiny screwdrivers.

-- hide signature --

Gerry
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne
gerry.winterbourne@ntlworld.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow